Subject:Re: [socialcredit] the reality? -- the true assets of banks
Date:Monday, November 22, 2004  09:13:30 (+0200)
From:Jessop Sutton <sutton @...........za>

I must thank Joe for coming in on this and for pointing out that there is
probably a difference [legislative?] between the practice in
America/Australia on the one hand and Canada on the other. That factor does
make for misunderstanding between members of this discussion group.

In South Africa the situation is the same as in Canada -- banks do
'reposssess' (that's the term used) houses or cars in the event of default.
Our government is committed to delivering proper housing to the low-earners
and tries to persuade banks to make loans availailable. Banks are
(understandably) reluctant because of the history of falling behind in
payments and, frequently, complete failure to catch up (also undestandably on
the part of people with small resources). We then often have the case of a
bank obtaining an eviction order and the whole local community marching in
protest against the eviction. The bank sells the repossessed house for
enought to cancel the debt.

The same happens with cars.

The term 'reposssess' implies prior possession. In effect, looking at the
broad canvas and not worrying about the bookkeeping, the bank purchases the
house or car from the seller and re-sells it to you, even though transfer or
registration is effected into your name. You fail to keep your end of the
bargain and  --zapp!!  -- you lose your house or car. Worse still, if the
bank doesn't recover the fulll amount outstanding, you continue to be liable
for the balance. And, the bank has no obligation to hold out for the full
value of the house (which usually will have appreciated over time) and to
make the excess over to you.

Jessop.