Subject:Re: [socialcredit] What is the actual "gap"? Addendum
Date:Thursday, February 7, 2008  08:05:24 (-0500)
From:Joe Thomson <thomsonhiyu @....ca>

Hi Bill (Ryan),

The pages I quoted where that passage can be found in the "Control and
Distribution of Production" were what Mairet listed as his source in "The
Douglas Manual".  In the edition I have, it will be found on pages 36-37.

Later, in that same edition, (which I think is the one you have), on page
60, Douglas states:-

 "I t is a little difficult to state with any accuracy what the proportion
of cost prices ought to be because of the distorting effect of waste,
sabotage, and aimless luxury.  I am making some rather tedious
investigations into this, and I can only say that I am convinced that even
now prices are five times too high, and that with proper direction of
production this figure would be greatly exceeded."

"Credit Power" was first printed as a book in 1922.  In the preface it
states that certain chapters were previously delivered as lectures at Oxford
and before the National Guilds League, while others had appeared in "The New
Age", or the "English Review".

Considering that, and that there would have been an enormous increase in
British manufacturing capacity built up during the World War One years, much
of which must have subsequently been available for 'civilian' uses at the
cessation of hostilities; plus the fact that on de-mobilization there would
have been a huge increase in the available workforce, the potentialities of
production of "ultimate products" must have been prodigious indeed.
Douglas did note elsewhere at how rapidly the destruction wrought by four
years of war was being overcome, so the capacity to produce was obviously
there at that time.  Maybe that's why the 'gap' figure used was so high
then?

Regards,
Joe