Subject:Re: [socialcredit] Regarding "interest" and "usury"
Date:Sunday, January 27, 2008  12:58:07 (-0700)
From:Martin Hattersley <jmartinh @....ca>

Jamie -

In my view, the way that Banks treat interest income and capital repayment
are two quite separate things.

Banks have operating expenses (staff wages, interest to depositors,
equipment and accommodation expenses, bad debt write-offs, etc.), and pay
these out of the various fees, including interest, that they charge.
Hopefully, that leaves some room also for profits and so to dividends to
shareholders.

Making loans and receiving repayment is different. The bank loan creates new
credit, used as currency. Repayment of the loan cancels this credit, and so
reduces the overall quantity of currency (money) in the community. Hence the
"boom and bust" economy that we have at the present time. Creating new
credit dilutes the value of the dollar, leading to inflation - but also
economic expansion. Repayment of that credit, unless new borrowing is taking
place, leads to deflation, unemployment, business failures, and bankruptcy
sales.

To prevent this deflation, orthodox finance does everything possible to
"prime the pump", by making credit cheaper, by government programs financed
by state borrowing - war expenses being the most politically acceptable way
of doing this - and by extending credit to ever less creditworthy borrowers.
All of which works until the roof falls in, which it seems to be doing in
the US at the present time.

It is to cure this problem of deflation that Douglas advanced his proposals
for a National Dividend  and/or a Just Price discount. Essentially, what
these would do would be to refund to the general public the buying power
previously robbed from them through the inflation caused by bank credit
creation.

I wrote a letter to the Edmonton Journal on this subject recently, and
attach this in case you are interested.

All the best -

Martin Hattersley, 5929-189 St.,
EDMONTON AB CANADA T6M 2J1