Subject:Re: [socialcredit] What is the actual "gap"? Addendum
Date:Saturday, February 9, 2008  08:34:10 (-0500)
From:Joe Thomson <thomsonhiyu @....ca>

Thanks, Wally.  I wouldn't disagree with any of that.   Except I also appreciate the exasperation that those who are interested in 'practical politics' must sometimes feel with what must seem to them like an endless, and rather fruitless, circular argument.

"We can't have Social Credit without the 'right philosophy' ."

But, it seems to me sometimes, we can't HAVE that 'right philosophy'  UNTIL we have Social Credit.

While Social Credit may be well described as 'practical Christianity' the problem with that was well stated in a piece written by Bob Edwards, editor of the "Calgary Eye-Opener" newspaper, way back in 1916.  Before Social Credit came on the World scene, let alone the Alberta one.

Edwards wrote:-

"The Church (Christianity) cannot capture cynical young men who do their reflecting from a purely worldly standpoint.  Their reason and their faith conflict.  Read what Christ says in Matthew and then turn to our rocky old world.

Christ says: "Woe unto you that are rich."

The world says: "I'm out for the dough first, last, and always."

Christ says: "Forgive your debtors."

The world says: " Sue them."

Christ says: " It is more blessed to give than receive."

The world says: "If you do that you're a sucker.  Get all you can."

Christ says: "Give to him that asketh."

The world says: " Certainly, if my contribution is written-up in the local newspapers."

Christ says: "Swear not at all."

The Judge says: "Lift up your right hand and be sworn."

Christ says: " From him that would borrow of thee turn thou not away."

The world says: "Not without good security."

Christ says: " You cannot serve God and Mammon."

The world says: " That is easy.  God for a couple of hours on Sunday.  Mammon the rest of the week."

Christ says: "Love thy neighbour as thyself."

The world says: " Nothing doing."

Christ says: " To him that smiteth thee on one cheek, offer him the other."

The world says: "Call the police and have him jugged for assault and battery."

Christ says: " Whom God hath joined together let no man put assunder."

The world says: " Why certainly we'll put you assunder, if you've enough money for divorce proceedings, and marry you to the lady with whom you were caught in flagrante delicto."

Christ says: " Forgive your debtors."

The world says: " Can't do business that way, I'd go broke."

And there you are. "

While Edwards was probably writing somewhat tongue-in-cheek, he does identify part of the problem, I think.

Regards,
Joe

Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 08:07:10 -0500
From: thomsonhiyu@shaw.ca
To: socialcredit@elistas.com

Hi John,

You wrote:- "If the five to one ratio is accepted, we must also acept that four fifths of goods either remain unsold or are sold by mortgaging future earnings."

I may be wrong, but I think that Douglas might not have been talking specifically about such a huge 'discount' rate in actuality.   But rather trying to make the point that there is presently far too much 'waste' and 'sabotage' that are now included in final prices that the Consumer is being forced to pay.  He lists many of these things in several of the early books.

They would encompass everything from 'planned obsolescence', to tradesmen and workers 'stretching the job out'  longer than it really should take, to all the 'marketing ploys' of modern advertising.  Like putting a small product in an oversized box, for instance.  And a whole host of other similar things.  All of these add to the cost and the price of the product without really adding anything useful to the overall wealth of the world.

Included in that would be some of what Bill Ryan's told us previously about the pre-mature scrapping of still perfectly good industrial plant, and its subsequent replacement, largely  because of the differing way accounting treats 'operating' and 'capital' costs in determining profit.

I think it was to the overall extent of these things on which Douglas was making "tedious investigations".  Not the establishment of the figures for a National 'capital account', since he tells us elsewhere such figures already largely exist.  And it hardly seems likely there would be too much 'tedium' needed to gather them together.

Many of the current incentives to this type of 'waste' and  'sabotage' might disappear under a Social Credit system, since we would then not have to continuously 'make work' in the manner we presently do in order to try to get sufficient 'effective demand' to fully pay for what we've already done.  And if many of these 'costs' could be  removed from prices, they may indeed be a fraction of what they currently are.

I think we have to remember, too, the times in which Douglas was writing this.  Advertising in those days was a relatively new development in the science of "marketing" sense.  So was the development of the 'mass-produced' product, which often didn't approximate the previous 'quality' of long-lasting craftsmanship.  And Douglas's ideas themselves were in competition with Marxism as a proposed solution to post WW I's  'economic'  problems.

Regards,

Joe

Some introductory materials to the discussion topic of this list are at
http://www.geocities.com/socredus/compendium
You're subscribed to this list with the email johngrawson@hotmail.com
For more information, visit http://www.eListas.com/list/socialcredit

Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! MSN Messenger

You're subscribed to this list with the email wmklinck@shaw.ca

You're subscribed to this list with the email thomsonhiyu@shaw.ca
For more information, visit http://www.eListas.com/list/socialcredit