Subject:RE: [socialcredit] THE REASON FOR MASS EXODUS of Young Filipinos
Date:Sunday, February 24, 2008  20:58:48 (+0000)
From:John G Rawson <johngrawson @.......com>

While Eisenhower woujld have been correct in aphysical sense, under our crazr economic system, "Every gun produced,..." provides necessary wages etc. that enable people to buy consumer goods they could otherwise not get.
Note that, during the last centure, worldwide prosperity was achieved only at times of massive production of armaments, or of strong reconstruction after war.
Which doesn't suggest that we should produce more guns, but that the financial system, which by it structure causes wars, is in need of drastic reform.
Regards.
John R.

Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 14:50:47 +0800
From: jmc1@mozcom.com
To: socialcredit@elistas.com

The Extractive Industry (gas, oil and mining) are finite resources.  Having said that let us look at the sustainability of these industries.  Peak oil is a reality which the Industrial Revolution peaked after World War II and production and consumption never took into account the environmental and social costs to the communities where they operated.  They have and still do have a bad legacy of corruption, conflict instigated by industry and governments.  In the Philippines we have the Marinduque Island experience when the mine tailings dam broke open and unleashed all the toxic waste into our rivers, farmlands, groundwater and into the marine ecosystem.  There in the Niger Delta problem where Shell continues to fund both the rebels and government (divide and conquer) inspite of repeated calls by the people and the UN.  All of these in the name of development but for who and for what?  Once they have taken the gas, oil, minerals they leave with our natural capital leaving us with practically nothing.

We have a 4% forest cover left and all our fertile soil are washed away.  If logging to fill the insatiable hunger of the few Corporations and Governments for profit is considered sustainable than I am afraid the whole logic of development for the local communities is all wrong.

There are needs in our agricultural sector which comprises more than 40% of the work force which should be our priority and to uplift these sector from the dictates of Foreign Lending Institutions such as the IMF/WB/ADB etc.  We are rich in biodiversity which sustains all LIFE!  Now we are considered by the IUCN-World Conservation Union as a mega-diverse biodiversity hotspot which will not be able to sustain the over 80 million Filipino’s.  In Europe they have been able to maintain their agriculture in an organic self-sufficient manner.  The fabled Green Revolution was nothing more than a for profit initiative to allegedly solve the world’s hunger dependent on oil.  Where are we now?  They come up with a technical quick fix solution now called Genetic Engineering or Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO’S).  Let us learn from the past lessons.

The Philippines is an Island Archipelago of 7107 islands.  We are rich with marine and terrestial natural capital, let us conserve and sustain these richness for the good of the people foremost the Filipino’s and than share whatever reserves we have with the rest of the globally community.  Only than can we say that development is for all of humanity.

Let me paste a quote from Dwight Eisenhower which was relevant than and more so now:

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.  The world in arms is not spending money alone.  It is spending the sweat of its labourers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children.

The war machine is a non productive drain on economic resources.  The manufacture of submarines and bombs contributes nothing to improved standards of living.  Annual military spending is estimated to be $850 billion, almost half of it being from the United States.  It is estimated that redirection of 30% of military spending in 10 years could eradicate world poverty."

May I add that as a young 1st. Lt., President Eisenhower served in the Philippines during the Commonwealth Period.

On 2/23/08 8:07 AM, "Eric Encina" <ericencina@yahoo.com> wrote:

THERE IS A REASON FOR LEAVING THE COUNTRY  AND BRAIN DRAIN IN THE PHILIPPINES!

The reason for the mass exodus of young Pinoy migrant workers

By Alfredo Reyes, logwatch

Friday, February 22, 2008

A non-government organization recently attributed the lack of employment opportunities as the main reason why many Filipinos, particularly the young people, are seeking jobs in other countries.

This was a rejoinder to the statement of Fr. Edwin Corros, executive secretary of the Episcopal Commission for the Pastoral Care of Migrants and Itinerant People of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines (CBCP), who voiced concern over reports that Filipinos seeking jobs abroad are getting younger.

Francisco S. Javier, secretary of the Penpower for Democracy and Good Government (PDGG), said that instead of helping provide jobs for our young people, some bishops and priests had been working for the closure of mining firms and other manufacturing industries giving revenues to the government and thousands of employment.

He cited a recent open letter to President Gloria Mapacagal Arroyo that appeared in a national newspaper signed by the bishop of Tandag who is also CBCP’s vice president, the parish priest of Bislig City and two other church people seeking the closure of a wood-based industry there over unfounded and baseless charges.

He pointed out that the signatories included known illegal loggers with many pending cases against them, squatters and land speculators out to take over the forest holdings of the company.

Javier also cited the bishop of Albay who almost succeeded in aborting the Rapu-Rapu flagship mining project in the province over fish kill reports and other environmental bugaboos that turned out to be a hoax as established by concerned agencies.

He said that the mine had now on its employ over 1,000 people in the erstwhile marginal fishing village, but because of the incessant calls for its closure by the bishop and allied environmentalists, the mining firm might close down for good.

“If these church people succeed in padlocking all industries they perceived as evil, our young people will have no place to go but in other countries where many end up as domestic helpers or entertainers,” he said.

I WELCOME COMMENTS BELOW.

thanks.

Never miss a thing.   Make Yahoo your homepage. <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51438/*http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs>

Some introductory materials to the discussion topic of this list are at
http://www.geocities.com/socredus/compendium
You're subscribed to this list with the email jmc1@mozcom.com
For more information, visit http://www.eListas.com/list/socialcredit

You're subscribed to this list with the email johngrawson@hotmail.com