Subject:Re: [socialcredit] Re: [chdouglas] Re: I await your answerstomyquestions (was: Re: Public-spirited Banking
Date:Sunday, March 30, 2008  16:45:38 (+0200)
From:Per Almgren <almgren_per @.....com>

Joe Thomson skrev:
Hello Martin,

That sounds very much like the "LETS" scheme that was promoted quite
actively in our area, (Comox Valley region of BC's Vancouver Island), a
number of years ago.  One of the bright lights behind it then was a fellow
by the name of Michael Linton, who subsequently ran for Mayor of  Courtenay,
was defeated, and moved on.  While it was in vogue,  the idea achieved
enough publicity for the Seattle, Washington PBS TV station to send a film
crew up here and do a documentary on it.

Despite all the favourable publicity, it very quickly petered out, though.
Eventually the only participants left in it were largely those who really
had little or nothing anyone else would normally be interested in
purchasing, including their labour.    Either with ''Green dollars", or
Canadian currency.

A few service providers, as I recall, one local optometrist was one of the
strongest backers, might have been able to benefit somewhat 'under the
table', but the vast majority of 'mainstream' businesses took a look and
said, "No thanks."

These type of schemes might stand more of a chance of success in some area
where poverty is more universalized, and there is way less dependence on out
of area providers of things like electricity, and fuel, telephone, etc.,
which couldn't be paid for in the alternate currency.  In our own case, in
the business we're in, it would've been completely unworkable the way it was
here.  And I think that was the case with most other firms who examined its
prospects, too.

I believe, myself, that one of the greatest obstacles to SC progress is that
there has never been a clear conception of exactly just what it is we're
really trying to do.  One  that everyone can agree on.   Once, (if ever!),
that's achieved we might be able to effectively utilize the "increment of
association" to far better advantage.

Regards,
Joe

There is ways to create "extra" money outside the banking system but it needs cooperation
among part of the businesses in the area. You can use the ordinary money as a base for it. Then
it would be easier to handle "export" and "import". Another but similar way is to copy the
"Chiemgauer-money" in Germany, it is now expanding quite fast, there are people in 32 cities that plans to
copy it. Yearly turnover is about 2 million Euro but it is quickly rising. The idea is basically the same as
Gesell presented for more than 100 years ago, and turned out to be very succesful in the small town
of Wörgl in Austria in the beginning of the thirties, before the Central bank managed to stop it.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiemgauer
Per Almgren